- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature for 1 hour
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- freshly grated zest of one grapefruit
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar together in a large bowl (Bowl 1) until light and fluffy. I used a hand mixer for this.
- Add egg, vanilla extract and grapefruit zest.
- In a separate bowl (Bowl 2) mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to Bowl 1.
- Divide dough into 2 balls and roll each ball until between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick on a sheet of parchment paper. Refrigerate the rolled out dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut out cookies to desired shapes and bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Let cookies cool before decorating or enjoy as-is.
This is a slight adaptation of the recipe on Kitchn. I didn’t have any almond extract and used grapefruit zest instead of lemon because I was trying to get some use out of all the grapefruit peels we have. Tomoko says they’re the best cookies she’s ever had.