From King Arthur Flour
- 241g (1 cup) sourdough starter discard
- 241g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 454g (2 cups) buttermilk
- 28g (2 tbsp) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 50g (1/4 cup) vegetable oil or 57g (4tbsp) butter melted
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- You need to start this 12 hours before you want to eat the waffles or pancakes. Usually this means the night before but I’m not going to judge you.
- In a large bowl (Bowl 1) mix the sourdough starter discard, flour, buttermilk and sugar. Cover and leave overnight.
- 12 hours later, in a small bowl (Bowl 2) beat together the eggs and vegetable oil or butter. Add to Bowl 1.
- Mix in the salt and baking soda. Wait a couple of minutes and it will start to bubble and rise. Now the batter is ready to make your waffles or pancakes.
- For whatever reason this recipe tries to stick to my waffle iron more than the recipes I used to use. Make sure to thoroughly oil the waffle iron and let the oil heat up before pouring the batter in.
- I use buttermilk powder to make my buttermilk. I haven’t tried it with soured milk but I’m sure it’ll be as good.
I don’t make any changes to the King Arthur recipe because I have no way of improving on it.